File photo of Alok Nath and Vinta Nanda. Photograph:( Facebook )
Others, including the actress Sandhya Mridul, have since come out saying they too were sexually harassed by Nath.
The actor Alok Nath has filed a defamation suit against the writer and director Vinta Nanda who on Monday accused him of having raped her 19 years ago.
Others, including the actress Sandhya Mridul , have since come out saying they too were sexually harassed by Nath.
Mridul has said Nath had tried to force himself on her after getting drunk, and a crew member of the film Hum Saath Saath Hain has said Nath stripped naked in front of her.
When the crew member tried to make her way out of the room, she said Nath grabbed her hand and manhandled her.
Nath played the role of the "sanskaari bapuji" in the film Hum Saath Saath Hain, which is also what he built his reputation on.
News reports quoted Nath’s lawyer Ashok Saraogi as having said earlier that it was easy to make allegations about something that happened 19 years ago. Saraogi said that that itself proved the allegations were false, for "a person will never wait for a period of 19 years to make such allegations, especially when we have a democracy, when we have a proper ministry over here, to look after all these things”.
Saraogi had also threatened Nanda with a defamation suit if the accusations continued, saying they would seek an injunction so that "she (Nanda) can't make baseless allegations in media and defame my client".
On Monday, Nanda said she had been raped — more than once — by an "actor par excellence who is known as the most #Sanskaari (Cultured) person in the film and television industry".
When she was asked a day later if it was Alok Nath, she said yes.
On Saturday, Nanda said she had not yet received the notice of the defamation suit.
She added that "we will respond to the notice once we get it and I assure all of you that we will fight this battle right till the end".