• Wion
  • /World
  • /More trouble for Boeing: US govt issues urgent safety warning for some 737s

More trouble for Boeing: US govt issues urgent safety warning for some 737s

More trouble for Boeing: US govt issues urgent safety warning for some 737s

File photo of a Boeing 737 Max.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) of the United States (US) government has issued“urgent safety recommendations” for some Boeing 737s- warning that critical flight controls could jam, American media reported on Thursday (Sept 26).

Add WION as a Preferred Source

The 737s under recommendation also include the737 MAX line. A report by CNN said that the NTSB issued the warning that an actuator attached to the rudder on some 737 NG and 737 MAX aircraft could fail.

This development comes after the agency investigated aFebruary incident where the pilots of a United Airlines MAX 8 landing in Newark reported their rudder pedals “stuck” in the neutral position.

The concern expressed by NTSB

In a statement, the NTSB said, "Boeing’s 737 flight manual instructs pilots confronted with a jammed or restricted rudder to ‘overpower the jammed or restricted system (using) maximum force, including a combined effort of both pilots."

“The NTSB expressed concern that this amount of force applied during landing or rollout could result in a large input to the rudder pedals and a sudden, large, and undesired rudder deflection that could unintentionally cause loss of control or departure from a runway,” the statement added.

The NTSB recommended that Boeing come up with an alternative solution and warned pilots about the issue.

The agency's concern is the latest setback for Boeing. Since the beginning of this year, the aircraft manufacturer has been facing severe flak- ranging from a mid-air blowout of a door plug in January to a strike by 33,000 workers that started earlier in September.

Boeing pauses hiring amid strike

A few weeks back, Boeing announced that it waspausing hiring and taking sweeping steps to conserve cash after about 33,000 workers went on strike, a report by the news agency Reuters said.

BoeingChief Financial Officer Brian West said the "strike jeopardizes our recovery in a significant way and we must take necessary actions to preserve cash and safeguard our shared future."

In addition to a hiring freeze acrossBoeingat all levels, the planemaker is stopping most employee travel, suspending non-essential capital expenditures and facilities spending and planning "significant reductions in supplier expenditures and will stop issuing the majority of supplier purchase orders on the 737, 767 and 777 programs."

(With inputs from agencies)