‘Confrontation like an earthquake’: Iran threatens Trump, warns countries backing US sanctions

‘Confrontation like an earthquake’: Iran threatens Trump, warns countries backing US sanctions

An Iranian woman walks past an anti-US billboard at Enghelab Square in central Tehran on August 3, 2026. Photograph: (AFP)

Story highlights

Iran warns countries joining US sanctions they will be treated as enemies, threatening to target their interests. Tehran also warns Trump that any escalation could trigger a wider confrontation.

Iran on Saturday (Aug 22) warned countries against joining the United States in imposing economic sanctions on the Islamic Republic, saying any government that participates in Washington’s campaign will be treated as an enemy. The head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, Mohsen Rezai, issued the warning as US President Donald Trump’s administration stepped up pressure on allies to join efforts to isolate Tehran’s economy.

“We declare to all countries... do not join the economic war waged by the United States,” Rezai said on state television.

“Any country participating in the imposition of economic restrictions against us is considered an enemy,” he added.

Rezai warned that countries refusing to distance themselves from Washington could see their interests targeted by Iran. His comments marked a sharp escalation in Tehran’s rhetoric as the conflict between Iran and the US continues to strain regional security and trade.

The Iranian official also claimed that Tehran had not yet used its full range of options against American economic interests.

Iran threatens against US sanctions

Trending Stories

“So far, we have only targeted military bases, but if they want to impose economic sanctions on us, the United States has oil and economic companies around Iran and elsewhere, and we will strike them,” Rezai said.

He further warned that any fresh action by US President Donald Trump could trigger a much broader confrontation.

“Should Trump take action, our confrontation will be like an earthquake,” Rezai said.

“If they start such an action, we will not allow a single drop of oil to pass through the Persian Gulf. Oil will leave neither through the Strait of Hormuz nor through the Persian Gulf,” he added.

Washington has been pressing governments, including major trading partners of Iran, to support its campaign to restrict Tehran’s access to international markets. China, one of Iran’s key strategic partners, has criticised the US approach, arguing that sanctions would not help resolve the wider Middle East conflict.

Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday (Aug 18) announced that it was suspending all trade and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, marking a significant setback for Tehran’s regional economic ties.

About the Author

Prajvi Mathur is a Sub-Editor at WION with over 2 years of experience in journalism and digital content. With a keen interest in geopolitics and national affairs, she covers a wide...Read More