More than 100 Students hospitalised for food poisoning after meal at school

Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India Published: Mar 03, 2018, 01:51 PM(IST)

Representative picture. Photograph:( DNA )

At least 125 students complained of food poisoning after having snacks at the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in Chhattisgarh's Surajpur district, an official said.

Students, mostly from classes 9th to 11th, had consumed "dahi wada" yesterday at the school, located in Basdei village, and complained of uneasiness, dysentery, headache and fever, Surajpur Collector KC Devsenapati told PTI today.

"Around 10 students had dysentery. About 70 had headache and 45 had fever. A medical team was rushed to the school and 46 students were admitted to the district hospital today morning. Others have been kept under the supervision of a team of six doctors camping at the school," he informed.

He said that of the students who were admitted, 20 were discharged after their parents took them home.

"The condition of the remaining 26 is also normal and they too will be discharged soon. We are investigating the incident," he said.

In another incident, at least 45 people fell ill allegedly after drinking water from borewells in Akaltara town in the state's Janjgir-Champa district, an official said.

"The Chief Medical and Health Officer Dr B Jai Praksh along with his team visited the area and treated them. The condition of those affected is now normal. Some borewells are located in the vicinity of a pond and that could be the cause of contamination," an official said.

Read in App