
Prince Harry with actress-girlfriend Meghan Markle launched the third Invictus Games on Saturday for the disabled or wounded soldiers andveterans. This was the couple's first public appearance.
The event took place in Toronto, where the launch ceremony was inaugurated by Prince Harryand US First Lady Melania Trump.Canadian pop artists Sarah McLachlan and Alessia Cara and British soprano Laura Wright performed at the ceremony.
Prince Harry was dressed in a blue blazer and beige pants while Melania Trump put on a houndstooth suit. The two spoke for a few minutes before posing for photographs after which the royal moved on to giving out the first medals of the Games at the driving challenge competition.
In his address, Prince Harry said the games were "not only to help veterans recover from their physical and mental wounds but also to inspire people to follow their example of resilience, optimism and service in their own lives."
This yearwill see the coming together of 550 injured soldiers and veterans from 17 countries.
Following the launch, Prince Harry spent some time with athletes before visitingToronto`s Center for Addiction and Mental Health, which his late mother Diana visited 26 years ago. He met the hospital staff and young patients at the Center.
According to AFP,Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeauon the event said, "The Invictus Games are a unique and powerful way to honour those who have sacrificed so much on behalf of their country."
The event was a hit among fans and media as this is the first time he has made an appearance with his girlfriend after the actress announced in an interview to magazine Vanity Fair that the couple "are in love".
The actress, Meghan Markle is knownfor playing the character Rachel Zane on hit web television series "Suits" and was seen wearing a plum coloured leather jacket thrown casually over a plum coloured dress, seated a few rowsbehind the British royal.
Fans and the press have been eagerly awaiting the first official public appearance of the prince and Markle since the "Suits" actress, 36, told Vanity Fair the couple are "in love" in an interview published early this month.
According to the royal's schedule, he will stay at Markle's Toronto home for the entire eight days of the Games.
Last year, the Games took place in Orlando, Florida.The first Invictus Games, based on the Paralympic Games, were held in September 2014 in London. They were launched by Prince Harry, who served with the British Army in Afghanistan.
American rocker Bruce Springsteen will headline the closing ceremony on September 30, joined by Canada`s Bryan Adams and Quebecois artist Coeur de Pirate.