‘Don’t trust Israel’: Syria challenges Israeli claims after airstrikes hit military airbase over alleged Turkish presence

‘Don’t trust Israel’: Syria challenges Israeli claims after airstrikes hit military airbase over alleged Turkish presence

Syria's Foreign Affairs Minister Asaad al-Shaibani speaks as UN Secretary-General (unseen) listen on, during a joint press conference following their meeting at the Tishreen Palace in the Syrian capital Damascus on July 25, 2026. Photograph: (AFP)

Story highlights

Syria rejected Israeli claims that a bombed airbase hosted Turkish forces, stating repairs were solely for its own air force, while warning the US not to trust Israel’s intentions.

Syria has told the Trump administration that it does not trust Israel’s intentions towards Damascus, days after Israeli airstrikes hit a military airbase in northern Syria over concerns about a possible Turkish military presence there.

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani told Axios on Thursday (Aug 20) that there had been no plans to establish a permanent Turkish military base at Abu al-Duhur airbase, which was targeted by Israel. “There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site,” Al-Shaibani told Axios.

The Israeli Air Force dropped at least eight bombs on runways and hangars at the airbase, located about 45 miles from the Turkish border, damaging recently rebuilt runways. No casualties were reported.

Israel cites Turkish military buildup

Israeli officials told the US administration that the strike was carried out to prevent Turkey from establishing a military presence at the site, according to US and Israeli officials cited by Axios.

Also read: ‘Never thought they were going to betray me like this’: Ex-CIA informant who helped in intel on Osama bin Laden faces deportation

Trending Stories

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Syria had been warned against allowing a Turkish military presence at the airbase and that Israel had delivered a clear message to Damascus before the attack.

Syria, however, has rejected the claim that it was working with Turkey to establish a military base there. Al-Shaibani said Damascus had already informed Israel that there were no plans for a permanent Turkish deployment at the site.

Syria says airbase was being repaired

According to Al-Shaibani, the activity at Abu al-Duhur was linked to repairs after the facility was damaged during Syria’s war. He said the work was intended to restore the airbase so that the Syrian Air Force could use it again. The facility was mostly empty, had not been fully repaired and was not operational at the time of the Israeli strike, he said.

Also read: ‘Any assistance to US military amounts to participation in US military operation’: Iran’s stark warning to Gulf countries

Syria therefore did not consider the repair work evidence of preparations for a Turkish military base. Turkish military officers had visited the airbase several days before the Israeli attack. Al-Shaibani said those visits were part of military cooperation, including training and the exchange of expertise.

About the Author

Passionate about international politics and social issues, Gulshan analyses key global events, from geopolitical conflicts and US politics to international diplomacy and social mov...Read More