
Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and US officials met on Monday behind closed door to restart the Quadrilateral Coordination Group(QCG) talks on kick-starting the Afganistan peace process in Muscat with the Taliban boycotting the meeting altogether.
The meeting was led by Pakistan's foreign secretary Tehmina Janjua, US assistant secretary of state Alice Wells and Afghan deputy foreign minister Hekmat Khalil Karzai.
The QCG is a four-nation group comprising of Afganistan, Pakistan, China and the US tasked to restart the peace process in Afghanistan.
Pakistan's foreign minister Khawaja Asif had told Washington last week that Pakistan is ready to bring the Taliban and Afghan government to the negotiating table through the quadrilateral peace process.
Pakistan foreign minister Asif was in the US to assure Trump government officials about his country's intent in Afganistan.
Pakistan has big stakes in Afganistan which seems to be slipping from its hand after President Trump emphatically laid down his strategy accusing the country of offering a safe haven to "agents of chaos".
Trump openly called for more troop deployment in Afghanistan and spoke about India's role in the country.
In a statement, Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah said that the quadrilateral meeting would improve Kabul and Islamabad’s relationship.
“Afghanistan-Pakistan relations will be discussed at the meeting and the results will be released,” Afghanistan's Tolo News quoted him as saying.
The latest peace moves in Afganistan comes with the US exerting pressure on Pakistan to do more.
Just last week Pakistan commandos helped free an American family from the clutches of the Taliban which was praised by President Trump.
Pakistani officials, however, told Reuters that talks had resumed due to their initiative.
The group did not release any official statement and none of the players divulged any detail of the meeting.