The 66-year-old politician previously married and divorced two women. Photograph:( Zee News Network )
Breaking his silence on the marriage controversy surrounding him, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan on Tuesday went on a Twitter spree, questioning whether wanting to get married is a crime.
Khan said for the last three days he had been lamenting as to how he is being treated as a criminal.
1. For 3 days I have been wondering have I looted a bank; or money laundered bns in nation's wealth; or ordered a model-town-like killing spree; or revealed state secrets to India? I have done none of these but discovered I have committed a bigger crime: wanting to get married.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
In a thread of tweets, Khan even lambasted ousted Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Mir Shakil Ur Rehman, the founder of news channel Geo TV, accusing them of running a smear campaign against him.
He, however, said that their campaign has only strengthened his resolve to fight them.
2. The vicious, gutter media campaign led by NS & MSR mafia does not bother me as respect & humiliation come from Allah Almighty.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
3. However, my concern is for my children & the very conservative family of Bushra begum, all of whom have been subjected to this malicious campaign by NS & MSR.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
4. NS & MSR can rest assured that their vicious campaign has only strengthened my resolve to fight them all the way.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
5. I have known the Sharifs for 40 years and I know all their sordid personal lives but I would never stoop to the level of exposing these sordid details.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
The former-cricketer turned politicians proposed marriage to Bushra Maneka, but she asked for time to make a final decision after consulting her family, including her children.
6. All I ask of my well wishers and supporters is that they pray I find personal happiness which, except for a few years, I have been deprived of.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 9, 2018
Whereas, a media report, on Saturday said the PTI chief got married on New Year's Day in Lahore. The rumours were later thrashed by the party.
The 66-year-old politician previously married and divorced two women, socialite Jemima Goldsmith and journalist Reham Khan.