Turkey has sought an international arrest warrant against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over alleged "genocide" linked to Israel's interception of an aid flotilla heading to Gaza, Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said on Friday.
The Turkish Justice Ministry has also sought an Interpol red notice for another Israeli national, Afek Moskovitch. The move follows arrest warrants issued by Turkey against Netanyahu and other Israeli officials over allegations related to Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza. Israel has rejected accusations of genocide.
Gurlek said on X that the Justice Ministry had asked the Interior Ministry to issue international arrest alerts for Netanyahu and Moskovitch.
"As part of the judicial proceedings concerning the attack in international waters on the Flotilla activists (...) and in accordance with the arrest warrants issued on July 14, 2026, against Benjamin Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch for 'genocide,' the ministry of justice has requested that the ministry of the interior issue red notices for their international arrest," the minister stated.
According to the ministry, the two are being prosecuted for “crimes against humanity, genocide, aggravated deprivation of liberty, 'intentional assault and battery,' torture, destruction of property, aggravated looting, and hijacking of transport vehicles.”
Flotilla interception sparks legal action
Around 50 vessels were part of the Global Sumud Flotilla that departed Turkey in May for the besieged Palestinian territory. Israeli forces intercepted the activists in the Mediterranean, detained them and later took them to an Israeli prison before their expulsion.
The latest Turkish action comes amid a sharp deterioration in relations between Ankara and Jerusalem since the Hamas-led October 7, 2023 attack and the subsequent Gaza war. Turkey has hosted Hamas leaders, while President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has repeatedly criticised Israel. Ankara has also ended trade and direct flights with Israel.
Also Read: ‘It is better we end the war now’: Iran’s Pezeshkian says Tehran is in ‘position of power’
Tensions rise over Syria
The dispute has also expanded beyond Gaza. Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said on Thursday that Erdogan was "dragging Turkey into dangerous adventures in Syria".
Trending Stories
Katz made the remarks after Israel carried out airstrikes on Syria's Abu al-Duhar air base earlier this week, claiming Turkish troops were preparing to deploy there.
Turkey's Defence Ministry rejected the claim, saying it had no military presence at the base. It also said Ankara would continue supporting Syria's efforts to develop its infrastructure and military capabilities.
Meanwhile, Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir triggered further controversy after releasing a video showing detained flotilla activists on their knees with their hands tied behind their backs.

&imwidth=800&imheight=600&format=webp&quality=medium)
&im=FitAndFill=(700,400))
)
)
)
)
&im=FitAndFill=(700,400))
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
&im=FitAndFill=(700,400))
)
)
)
)
)
&im=FitAndFill=(700,400))
)
)
)
)
)
&im=FitAndFill=(700,400))
)
)
)

