
The government had on Tuesday sent a notice to WhatsApp asking it to curb "irresponsible" messages on its messaging service.
The "irresponsible" messages — fake news, rumours — have led to the deaths of as many as 29 people in India in recent months.
The messaging service replied to the government today, saying it was "horrified" by the "terrible acts of violence".
"WhatsApp has sent us a reply from California. They say they've launched a setting where a group admin can decide who can send messages. They also said they're trying to see that messages aren't forwarded without reading and understanding. I appreciate this initiative," IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
"We sent a notice to WhatsApp yesterday. We found that disinformation and provocative messages on WhatsApp played a major role in instigating violence. While we welcome WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook they must also remain accountable, responsible and vigilant," he added.
WhatsApp, in its reply, outlined steps being taken by the company to curb abuse of the messaging platform. The Indian government had told it categorically that it could not evade accountability on the issue.
WhatsApp said false news, misinformation and spread of hoaxes are issues that need to be dealt with collectively, by government, civil society and technology companies working together.
"WhatsApp cares deeply about people's safety, which is why we designed our app with security in mind...," it said in its letter to the Indian government.
The company also said it follows a two-pronged approach that includes giving people controls and information they need to stay safe, and working proactively to prevent misuse on WhatsApp.
In its detailed reply sent to the IT ministry, WhatsApp has listed out the various measures being undertaken by the platform to curb spread of false news and misinformation. These include product controls, digital literacy, fact-checking advocacy and proactive actions to tackle abuse.
"We also respond to valid law enforcement requests to help them investigate crimes. And soon, we will start an engagement program with law enforcement officials around India so they are familiar with our approach and how we can be helpful," it said.
WhatsApp said it is keen to share "best practices" on how the platform can be used by local police as a resource for their community.
The government's warning to WhatsApp came in the wake of a spate of incidents involving lynching of innocent people because of certain "fake and motivated" messages purportedly circulated on the widely used messaging app.
Last week, five people were lynched in Dhule district in Maharashtra on suspicion of them being part of a gang of child-lifters. In a similar incident in Tripura recently, two people were lynched and six others thrashed. Assam, too, witnessed a case of lynching last month on similar ground.
(With inputs from PTI)