
Netflix said on Tuesday (April 30) it had secured the rights to make a miniseries about the dramatic rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach from a cave in northern Thailand last year that captured international attention.
Spokesman of the Committee for the Tham Luang Cave Mission which oversees the welfare of the Thai cave boys, Werachon Sukondhapatipak, told reporters that "money" was not the main factor in choosing "who to portray the story" for the global rescue effort.
The 'Wild Boars' soccer team, aged between 11 and 16, and their 25-year-old coach became trapped on June 23 while exploring the cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels. A 17-day effort to rescue them gripped the world with experts from various countries volunteering to help.
Netflix and SK Global Entertainment secured the rights from 13 Thamluang, a company established by the boys and their coach.
Ekapol Jantawong, the representative of 13 Thumluang, denied earlier news report that the production powerhouses had secured a 'lifetime exclusive rights' agreement to control access to the boys and himself, saying it was only 'temporary'.
So far, two books about the rescue have been published while a feature film 'The Cave'wrapped up shooting in December, according to the Hollywood Reporter.