• Wion
  • /World
  • /US revokes plea deal made with three accused 9/11 plotters

US revokes plea deal made with three accused 9/11 plotters

US revokes plea deal made with three accused 9/11 plotters

9/11 attack in US

After much criticism, the US government has revoked a pre-trial agreement reached with three men accused of plotting the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin sent a memo to Susan Escallier - the official overseeing the war court proceedings.

Austin said given the gravity of the case, the final decision regarding the fate of the accused persons should 'rest with' him.

"I have determined that in light of the significance of the decision to enter into pre-trial agreements with the accused…responsibility for such a decision should rest with me as the superior authority," wrote Austin in the memo.

Add WION as a Preferred Source

"I hereby withdraw your authority. Effective immediately, in the exercise of my authority, I hereby withdraw from the three pre-trial agreements," addedAustin referring toEscallier.

The three accused, Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, Walid Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin Attash, and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al-Hawsawi have been held at the US Navy base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for years without going to trial.

Earlier this week,Escallier announced she had signed a deal with Khalid, the alleged mastermind of the attack and his accomplices. In exchange for the trio's guilty pleas, they would havebeen sentenced to life in prison - sparing them the death penalty, according to the original deal.

Watch |What happened on September 11, 2001? | 9/11 attacks

Criticism pours in

The decision immediately drew criticism from all quarters with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell leading the pack.

"The only thing worse than negotiating with terrorists is negotiating with them after they are in custody," said McConnell at the time.

Additionally, some of the victims' families were also distraught that the men accused of killing their loved ones had made a plea with the US government and effectively sidestepped the death penalty.

The three men have been accused of a litany of charges, including attacking civilians, murder in violation of the laws of war, hijacking and terrorism.

Notably, Pentagon officials claimed that President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris were not involved in Austin's decision to rescind the controversial deal.

According to reports, the Biden administration had reportedly rejected the terms of a plea in September last year. The 9/11 attack was the deadliest assault on the US since the World War II when the Japanese attacked the Pearl Harbour in Hawaii in 1941, killing 2,400 people.

(With inputs from agencies)