Islamic State claims responsibility for Kabul University attack

WION Web Team
KABULUpdated: Nov 02, 2020, 11:24 PM IST

Policemen stand guard at an entrance gate of the Kabul University in Kabul on November 2, 2020. Photograph:(AFP)

Story highlights

Islamic State said two of its fighters carried out the brazen daylight attack.

Terrorist organization Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack on Kabul University on Monday that killed 22 people including students.

Islamic State said two of its fighters carried out the brazen daylight attack.

Through a message on the messaging app Telegram, the group claimed to have “killed and injured 80 Afghan judges, investigators and security personnel” who gathered on completion of a training programme.

At least 22 people were killed when attackers stormed one of Afghanistan's main universities on Monday, detonating a suicide bomb and spraying classrooms with bullets in a brazen hours-long assault claimed by Islamic State group.

The attack on Kabul University, which came as violence surges across Afghanistan, marked the second time in less than two weeks that an educational institution was targeted in the capital by IS extremists.

Survivors described horrific scenes following the incident that unfolded around 11:00 am (0530 GMT) when a suicide bomber blew himself up inside the campus.

Two gunmen then started shooting, officials said, sending hundreds of students fleeing and scrambling over perimeter walls.

Fraidoon Ahmadi, a 23-year-old student, told AFP he was in class when gunfire broke out at the university.

"We were very scared and we thought it could be the last day of our lives... boys and girls were shouting, praying and crying for help," Ahmadi said.

He said he and other students were besieged for more than two hours before being rescued. 

Distressing images posted online showed what appeared to be the bodies of slain students lying by desks and chairs.

"They opened fire ... all my classmates were lying in blood, either dead or wounded," one student told a local television channel, adding that he escaped by climbing out a window.

(With inputs from agencies)