&imwidth=600&imheight=450&format=webp&quality=medium)
US President Donald Trump's appearance at the US Open men's final was met with loud boos from the crowd. Videos of the moment show the POTUS facing a mix of jeers and cheers. Meanwhile, a lingering bruise on his hand, covered by improperly matched makeup, has become a reason for ridicule.
Tennis fans at the US Open men's final on Sunday (Sep 7) greeted US President Donald Trump with loud boos as he appeared at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens, forcing organisers to delay the start of the Carlos Alcaraz vs Jannik Sinner showdown due to heightened security. "As a result of the security measures in place, and to ensure that fans have additional time to get to their seats, we have pushed the start time of today’s match to 2:30 pm ET," said the US Open. Adding to the spectacle, Trump's right hand once again appeared caked in mismatched makeup, covering a lingering bruise - something that did not go unnoticed.
Trump entered alongside Rolex CEO Jean-Frederic Dufour and members of his inner circle, including Jared Kushner, granddaughter Arabella, Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent. Videos from the historic sporting event show as the crowd erupted with a mix of jeers and cheers when cameras cut to Trump saluting during the national anthem. The US President, as per reports, quickly retreated to his suite after the frosty welcome.
Staying true to their Trump-positive outlooks, right-wing influencers later claimed the crowd gave Trump a "POWERFUL, ROARING standing ovation," while a White House X account dismissed reports of booing as "Fake News" driven by so-called "Trump Derangement Syndrome."
"All these Fake News Losers do is lie because their pea-sized brains have been irreversibly destroyed by TDS," it said, referring to the made-up illness dubbed by conservatives as "Trump Derangement Syndrome."
The United States Tennis Association, as per reports, had privately urged broadcasters not to show Trump during the telecast, according to an email obtained by tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg. "We ask all broadcasters to refrain from showcasing any disruptions or reactions in response to the President’s attendance in any capacity, including ENG [Electronic News Gathering] coverage," read the email.
Trump faced similar booing when he last attended the tournament in 2015 and more recently at July's FIFA World Cup final in New Jersey.
Adding to the spectacle, Trump's right hand once again appeared caked in mismatched makeup, purportedly covering a lingering bruise that has sparked speculation about his health. New close-up photos from Sunday revealed the discolouration beneath the concealer.
The White House has repeatedly downplayed concerns, with Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt previously attributing the mark to "minor soft tissue irritation from frequent handshaking and the use of aspirin as part of a standard cardiovascular prevention regime."