• Wion
  • /World
  • /Saudi-led coalition moves against separatists in Yemen

Saudi-led coalition moves against separatists in Yemen

Saudi-led coalition moves against separatists in Yemen

Yemen

TheSaudi-ledcoalitionintervened in Aden on Sunday in support of theYemeni government after southernseparatistseffectively took over the port city, fracturing the alliance that had been battling Iran aligned the Houthi movement.

The infighting, which broke out on Aug. 8 to control the port city which serves as the temporary seat ofYemen'sSaudi-backed, internationally recognized government, has killedup to 40 people and injured 260, the United Nations said.

Add WION as a Preferred Source

"It is heart-breaking that during Eid al-Adha (the Muslim holiday) families are mourning the death of their loved ones instead of celebrating together in peace," said Lise Grande, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator inYemen.

"Our main concern right now is to dispatch medical teams to rescue the injured," she said in a statement on Sunday. "We are also very worried by reports that civilians trapped in their homes are running out of food and water."

TheSaudi-led, Sunni Muslimcoalitionsaid it attacked an area that posed a "direct threat" to the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, without providing details.

A local official told Reuters thecoalitionhad targeted separatist forces surrounding the nearly empty presidential palace in the Crater district. Hadi is based in theSaudicapital Riyadh.

"This is only the first operation and will be followed by others, the Southern Transitional Council (STC) still has a chance to withdraw,"Saudistate TV quoted it as saying.

Several hours after thecoalitionannouncement, there was no indication that STC forces were preparing to leave government military camps they seized on Saturday.

STC Vice-President Hani Ali Brik, writing on Twitter to mark Eid al-Adha, that began on Sunday, said while the Council remained committed to thecoalitionit would "not negotiate under duress". It had earlier agreed to a truce.

The United Arab Emirates-backedseparatists, who want to split with the north, have a rival agenda to Hadi's government over the future ofYemen, but have been a key part of the coalitionthat intervened in the Arabian Peninsula nation in 2015againstthe Houthis after the group ousted Hadi from power in the capital Sanaa in late 2014.

The violence in the port city that handles some commercial imports and aid complicates UN efforts to end the war that has killedtens of thousands and pushed the country to the brink of famine.

Residents said clashes ceased on Saturday night.

Coalitionmember the UAE, which has armed and trained thousands of southernseparatists, urged calm. Riyadh said it would host an emergency meeting aimed at restoring order. Hadi's government has asked Abu Dhabi to stop backing southern forces.

SETBACK FORCOALITION

The infighting is a serious setback for thecoalitionin its more than four-year campaign to break the grip of the Houthis, who control Sanaa and most urban centres.

The Aden clashes began on Wednesday after theseparatistsaccused an Islamist party allied to Hadi of complicity in a missile attack on a southern forces military parade in Aden.

Analysts said Abu Dhabi and Riyadh, Sunni Muslim allies unitedagainstShi'ite Iran, would work together to contain the crisis even though the UAE in June scaleddown its military presence inYemenas Western pressure mounted to end the war.

"The UAE andSaudiArabia have allied with distinctYemeni partners ... Yet to this point in the conflict, Abu Dhabi and Riyadh have worked to maintain a relative detente between competing interests in the south," Elizabeth Dickinson, senior analyst at International Crisis Group, told Reuters.

"That is the approach again today," she said, but added there was a concern that the situation could deteriorate into "a civil war within a civil war".

The war has revived old strains between north and southYemen, formerly separate countries that united into a single state in 1990 under slain former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

The Houthis' deputy foreign minister on Saturday said the Aden events proved Hadi's government was unfit to rule and calledfor dialogue with other main powers inYemento establish a federation under a "unified national framework".

The United Nations is trying to salvage a stalledpeace deal in the main port city of Hodeidah, north of Aden, to pave the way for peace talks at a time of heightened tensions after the Houthis stepped up missile and drone attacks onSaudicities.

TheYemenconflict is widely seen in the region as a proxy war betweenSaudiArabia and Iran. The Houthis deny being puppets of Iran and say their revolt isagainstcorruption.

About the Author