Budget 2017: President Pranab Mukherjee addresses joint session of Parliament
Indian President Pranab Mukherjee started off budget 2017 by addressing both the Houses of Parliament on Tuesday.
Budget session of Parliament begins with President Pranab Mukherjee's address to members of both the houses. pic.twitter.com/glkplFHeEb— ANI (@ANI_news) January 31, 2017
The Economic Survey will be tabled later in the day while the Rail and General Budget will be presented together on Wednesday, a departure from tradition.
Some 34 bills will also be introduced for passing and consideration. These include three ordinances which will be replaced through bills: The ordinance of Enemy Property, Payment of Wages and Specified Bank Notes.
Here are some key quotes from the Indian President's speech:
- Resilience demonstrated by our countrymen particularly the poor, in the fight against black money and corruption, is remarkable.
- Postal network has wider network with over 1.5 lakh crore reach.
- Under Deendayal Upadhyay Yojana, deprived sections have been provided 16,000 crore.
- Over 1.2 crore consumers have voluntarily given up their subsidy and it has helped the poor.
- 1.4 lakh villages, over 450 cities, 70 districts and 23 states have declared them open defecation free.
- At the core of all my government policies, is the welfare of 'gareeb', 'peedit', 'Dalit', 'vanchhit'.
- 26 crore plus Jan Dhan accounts have been opened. Over 20 crore RuPay card have been given to enable cashless scheme.
- My government has taken various initiatives to improve the quality of life of poor.
- My government is committed to provide shelter to the homeless under Pradhan Mantri Aawas Yojna.
- In farmer’s welfare lies the country’s economic prosperity. My government has taken many steps to improve the lives of farmers.
- Affordable credit, improved irrigation facilities, improved productivity through soil health care cards. Three crore Kisan or farmer cards will be converted to rupee debit cards.
- My government is making " naari shakti" an integral part of our development journey, they deserve equal opportunities.
PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Deepa illustrate strength of our women.
Social and economic equality for deprived sections is the first promise of our constitution, our Govt is committed to fulfilling it.
Through the Stand-Up India initiative, the govt plans to empower over 2-and-a-half lakh SCs, STs and women entrepreneurs.
North East is our gateway for trade and communication with South East Asia.
India has been facing grave challenge of terrorism, threat to global community.
India gave a befitting reply to repeated incursions by conducting successful surgical strikes.
J&K affected by terrorism sponsored and supported from across the border.