
Around 11,700 staffers in the Maharashtra government may be running a risk of getting sacked after forging caste certificates to get employment under the Schedule Caste quota, reports said on Sunday.
Devendra Fadnavis-led Maharastra government will follow the SC order that directed dismissal of the staffers after the apex court passed the rule for dismissal of those who got government jobs or education through fake certificates.
The state’s decision to conform to the SC order was confirmed by Chief Secretary Sumit Mallick after a meeting was held at the state secretariat on January 20, reports said.
It has also sought an opinion from the law and judiciary department and the advocate general (AG).
“Both the law department and AG have opined there is no way to protect these employees. I don’t have the number of employees against whom action has to be taken, but we will follow the SC order,” Mallick said.
The government, so far, was reluctant to oust the employees as it would be one of the largest sacking exercises in one sweep.
It has also been reported that BJP MLA from Nagpur Vikas Kumbhare will meet CM Devendra Fadnavis on Monday to request him to ensure injustice is not done to genuine tribals.