Police patrolling the site in London. Photograph:( AFP )
The suspect was sentenced to prison to a minimum of eight years and was also found guilty of planning to go to Pakistan to get "terrorist training".
The accused of the knife attack at London bridge was an ex-prisoner convicted of terrorism offences and released last year, police said on Saturday.
Police named the suspect as 28-year-old Usman Khan and said that he was convicted in 2012 for terrorism. He was released from prison in December 2018 on parole, Neil Basu, head of UK counter-terrorism policing, said in a statement.
Khan was sentenced to prison to a minimum of eight years and was also found guilty of planning to go to Pakistan to get "terrorist training".
The 28-year-old suspect, who stabbed two people to death on Friday, was shot dead by police.
Three people were also wounded in the incident.
Basu said that the accused had attended an event on Friday afternoon at Fishmonger's Hall, a historical building on the north side of the bridge in the centre of London.
"We believe that the attack began inside before he left the building and proceeded onto London Bridge, where he was detained and subsequently confronted and shot by armed officers," he said.
Eyewitnesses' account claimed that a group of people tried to tackle the suspect on the ground before the cops arrived.
"Everyone was just on top of him trying to bundle him to the ground", tour guide Stevie Hurst, who ran from his car to the place of incident, told BBC radio.
A report claimed that Khan was wearing an electronic tag used to monitor criminal offenders. The police said they believed the accused strapped to his body "hoax explosive device".
The attack took hours before another stabbing incident in the centre of the Dutch city, The Hague, where three minors were assaulted.
The victims were later released from the hospital.
So far, it is unclear whether both incidents were linked to each other.
(with inputs from AFP)