News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Video: 14 killed in Mumbai fire as birthday celebration turns into nightmare

Three people associated with the 1 Above pub, where the fire started, have been booked on charges of, among others, culpable homicide not amounting to murder. Photograph:( ANI )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Dec 29, 2017, 06.14 AM (IST)

A massive fire broke out at a pub at the Kamala Mills complex in Lower Parel, Mumbai early Friday morning killing 14 people and injuring 21. 

The fire started around 12.30 am on the third floor of the Trade House building at the 1 Above pub where a birthday celebration was in progress. 

Fire brigade and police teams were rushed to the spot and a rescue operation was launched.

The fire brigade pulled out at least 35 people. 

An eyewitness said the roof of the pub began to fall in, and that there was a stampede. 


Doctors said most of the deaths -- 11 women were among the dead -- were caused by suffocation. 

News reports said at least two of the injured were in critical condition. 

The fire is thought to have been started by a short circuit. 

Kamala Mills is an old mill complex which now houses commercial establishments. 

An FIR has been lodged against the 1 Above restaurant. 

Police have booked Hratesh Sanghvi, Jigar Sanghvi and Abhijeet Manka of C Grade Hospitality, which managed the pub, along with others, under IPC sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others). 

The trio were charged at NM Joshi Marg police station and two of them have been detained, PTI reported an official as saying. 

The fire spread to the neighbouring Mojo's Bistro which put out a statement saying, "We are extremely saddened by the incident. Mojo's has all its fire safety norms, certificates, and procedures in place. The staff are thoroughly trained in fire drills hence our staff was able to evacuate all our guests and themselves out to safety with zero injuries. There were NO cylinders on our premises. We are fully complying with the authorities to help in any way we can."
"Our prayers and deepest condolences to the families who lost their loved ones in this gruesome incident," the statement added. 

Investigations continue. 

(With inputs from agencies)