File photo Photograph:( AFP )
The latest announcements revealed that the COVID-19 positive cases stand at 41,495
Iran confirmed 117 new deaths on Monday from the novel coronavirus, bringing the official death toll to 2,757.
Health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour reported the latest figures in a news conference, and said, 3,184 more tested positive for COVID-19 in the past day, taking the total infections to 41,495.
Jahanpour also said 13,911 patients who were hospitalised have recovered and 3,511 people are in a critical stage.
The Islamic republic, after weeks of avoiding a lockdown or quarantine measures, on Wednesday announced banning all intercity travel until at least April 8.
The country has also ordered the closure of schools and universities and the suspension of all religious, cultural and sports activities.
However, many experts argue that the measures adopted by the country are too little too late.
"Coronavirus could have been more quickly contained, if the health ministry's expert opinion regarding implementing social distancing and social limitations was considered sooner," Iran's judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi said, reported ISNA news agency.
Iran has also not announced any official lockdown but urged the countrymen to stay at home.
"If necessary, we might impose tougher measures as our priority is the nation's safety and health," said Iran's first Vice President, Eshaq Jahangiri, said.
Last week, Tehran warned of a surge of cases as many defied government calls to avoid travelling for the Persian New Year holidays that started on March 20.
(with AFP and Reuters inputs)