Taliban claims responsibility for two blasts in Afghanistan

WION Web Team
Kabul, Afghanistan Published: Sep 17, 2019, 04:33 PM(IST)

File photo. Photograph:( Reuters )

Story highlights

The suicide attacks targeted Afghan security forces, the Taliban spokesman said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the two blasts in Afghanistan today in which at least 30 people were killed ahead of the presidential elections on September 28.

A powerful blast took place during President Ashraf Ghani's election rally in central Parwan province. The Afghan president was about to address the rally when the blast occurred, Ghani was unhurt.

Interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said the bomber was on a motorbike and detonated the bomb at the first checkpoint leading to the rally. 

Another blast took place near Massoud Square near the US embassy in Kabul in which at least six people were killed. The Taliban claimed responsibility for both blasts.

The suicide attacks targeted Afghan security forces, the Taliban spokesman said.

The attacks occurred even as Afghanistan gets set for presidential polls later this month amid fears that the Taliban may disrupt the elections after talks between the Trump administration and the Taliban broke down last week.

US President Trump had called off talks last week with the Taliban after a blast in which a US serviceman was killed including several Afghan civilians.

Read in App