Nigeria attack blamed on jihadists claims 110 lives

WION Web Team
New Delhi Published: Nov 29, 2020, 09.15 PM(IST)

(File Photo) Mourners attend the funeral of farm workers in Zabarmari, about 20km from Maiduguri, Nigeria, on November 29, 2020. They were killed by Boko Haram fighters in rice fields near the village of Koshobe on November 28, 2020 Photograph:( AFP )

Story highlights

The attackers tied up agricultural workers and slit their throats. The attack is being blamed on Boko Haram, the jihadist terror group

A horrific attack blamed on Boko Haram jihadist group has claimed 110 lives in northeast Nigeria, said the United Nations. UN's humanitarian coordinator said that this was the "most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year". The attack took in Koshobe, a village near the main city of Maiduguri. The attackers targetted rice field farmers. The tragedy took place on Saturday (November 28)

"At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack," UN's Edward Kallon said in a statement after initial tolls indicated 43 and then at least 70 dead from Saturday's massacre by suspected Boko Haram fighters.

"The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year," Kallon said, adding: "I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice."

Borno Governor Babaganan Umara Zulum attended the burial Sunday in the nearby village of Zabarmari of 43 bodies recovered on Saturday, saying the toll could rise after search operations resumed.

According to a pro-government anti-jihadist media, the attackers tied up agricultural workers and slit their throats.

The victims were among labourers from Sokoto state in northwestern Nigeria, roughly 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) away, who had travelled to the northeast to find work, it said. 

Six were wounded in the attack and eight remained missing as of Saturday. 

Kallon, citing "reports that several women may have been kidnapped", called for their immediate release and return to safety.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack, saying: "The entire country has been wounded by these senseless killings."

The attack took place as voters went to the polls in long-delayed local elections in Borno State.
The polls had been repeatedly postponed because of an increase in attacks by Boko Haram and a rival dissident faction, ISWAP.

The two groups have been blamed for increasing attacks on loggers, farmers and fishermen whom they accuse of spying for the army and pro-government militias. 

(With AFP inputs)

Read in App