WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India
Mar 07, 2019, 06.15 PM
French archbishop Philippe Barbarin Thursday announced he will resign following his conviction for failing to report the sex abuse of minors by one of his priests.
"I have decided to go to see the pope to hand him my resignation," Barbarin, 68, the archbishop of Lyon, told a news conference after he was handed a six-month suspended prison sentence earlier in the day by a court in Lyon.
A French court found Barbarin guilty of covering up sexual abuse committed by a paedophile priest in his Archdiocese.
The allegations of child abuse dating back to a period between 1970-90, although the court found Barbarin helped silence controversy in a period between 2014/15.
The sentencing came as a surprise as even the prosecution did not recommend punishment, citing a lack of evidence.
(With inputs from EFE)
'I have decided to go to see the pope to hand him my resignation,' Barbarin, 68, the archbishop of Lyon, told a news conference