Shooter at Florida's US naval base shot dead; two killed: Officials

WION Web Team New Delhi, India Dec 06, 2019, 07.31 PM(IST) Edited By: Sparshita Saxena

File photo: This US Navy file handout photo shows the USS John F. Kennedy arriving at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida, on March 18, 2004.  Photograph:( AFP )

Story highlights

'Both gates of NASP are currently secured due to reports of an active shooter,' a statement released by the base on its Facebook page stated.

A shooter, who was reported on Friday at Florida's Naval Air Station Pensacola, was shot dead by the authorities, news agency AFP reported.

"Confirm there is no longer an active shooter on NAS Pensacola. The shooter is confirmed dead," Escambia County Sheriff's Office tweeted out.  

According to reports, several people have been injured while the Navy confirmed two people have been killed.

"Unknown number of injured people being transferred to local hospitals."  

×

In a statement released on its social page, the naval base had earlier stated that, "both gates of NASP are currently secured due to reports of an active shooter. More information will be provided as it becomes available".

The incident comes after a US sailor fatally shot two people and wounded a third at the Pearl Harbour Naval Shipyard in Hawaii on Wednesday before committing suicide.

×

The two people killed were Department of Defence civilian employees, while a third civilian was wounded but "in stable condition at (an) area hospital," an official said.

A spokeswoman for the Joint Base Pearl Harbour-Hickam confirmed that a shooting had taken place.

Indian Air Force officials on Thursday said that Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria was attending a conference at the historic military base Pearl Harbour near Hawai in America when it was put under lock-down as authorities were responding to a shooting incident.

(With inputs from agencies)