close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Will keep trying for full implementation of ICJ judgement, says India after Pak rejects second consular access to Jadhav

File photo: Kulbhushan Jadhav. Photograph:( Others )

WION New Delhi Sep 12, 2019, 04.29 PM (IST) Written By: Sidhant Sibal

India has said it will keep trying for the full implementation of the international court of justice(ICJ) judgement even as Pakistan said today that there will be no second consular access for Kulbhushan Jadhav.

The ministry of external affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said, "We will keep trying that judgement of ICJ is fully implemented. We would like to remain in touch with the Pakistani side through diplomatic channels."

Earlier in the day responding to a WION question if there will be a second consular meeting for Jhadav, Pakistan foreign ministry spokesperson Mohammad Faisal said, "There is no other meeting".

On September 2, India had got its first consular access for Kulbhushan Jhadav in three years with Indian deputy high commissioner (DHC) Gaurav Ahluwalia in Islamabad meeting him for two hours. 

Watch Video:

The Indian diplomat had found Jhadav under "extreme pressure to parrot a false narrative to bolster Pakistan’s untenable claims", according to a release issued by India's Ministry of external affairs(MEA). 

A comprehensive report has been sent by the Indian mission in Islamabad to the MEA on the meeting. The meeting took place in the presence of the Pakistani government officials and was recorded.

The Pakistani proposal for consular access for Kulbhushan Jadhav had taken place after New Delhi got a major diplomatic victory at the ICJ on July, 17. The world court had asked Pakistan to "provide Indian consular officers access to him in accordance with Article 36 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations".

New Delhi had called on Islamabad to provide full consular access in an "environment free from the fear of intimidation and reprisal, in the light of the orders of the ICJ".

India maintains that Jadhav was abducted by Pakistani agencies from Iran and New Delhi was first informed about his custody by Pakistani authorities on March, 25, 2016, after which in 2017, Islamabad announced that military has awarded death sentence against him.

Story highlights

On September 2, India had got its first consular access for Kulbhushan Jhadav in three years with Indian deputy high commissioner Gaurav Ahluwalia in Islamabad meeting him for two hours.