Russian FM says if Greenland is militarised, Moscow ‘will take adequate countermeasures’

Russian FM says if Greenland is militarised, Moscow ‘will take adequate countermeasures’

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Photograph: (AFP)

Story highlights

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned Moscow would take military countermeasures if Greenland is militarised amid rising US interest and European troop presence. 

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday (Feb 11) that if the West goes ahead with a military footprint on Greenland, Moscow will take military "countermeasures". After the US President Donald Trump repeatedly expressed his intention to annexe the island nation, multiple European nations sent small contingents of troops to Greenland.

“Of course, in the event of the militarisation of Greenland and the creation of military capabilities aimed at Russia, we will take adequate countermeasures, including military-technical ones," Lavrov said in a speech to Russian lawmakers. “The US, Denmark and Greenland must sort this out themselves," he added. The minister also accused Denmark of treating Greenland as "second-class citizens".

Also read: Trump wants ‘new, improved’ nuclear treaty with Russia; says US to introduce battleships '100X better than those during WW 2'


Meanwhile, the French President Emmanuel Macron said a day earlier that Donald Trump is “openly anti‑European" and asked Europe to brace for escalated tensions with the US. The French leader urged the European Union to take the "Greenland moment" as a wake-up call.

In an interview with several European newspapers, Macron said that Europe should not think that tensions with America have ended. He said clashes with Washington, including over the EU’s regulation of digital technology, were likely in the months ahead.

Also read: ‘Did you torture her?’: Emails of Jeffrey Epstein and Martin Nowak reveal shocking details. All about ‘$6.5 million to Harvard’ and private travels

Trending Stories

“When there’s a clear act of aggression, I think what we should do isn’t bow down or try to reach a settlement," Macron told Le Monde, the Financial Times and others, adding: “We’ve tried that strategy for months. It’s not working."

Also read: ‘Disgusting behaviour by President’: ‘Most openly racist’ Trump shares video depicting Obamas as monkeys, sparks outrage


About the Author

Passionate about international politics and social issues, Gulshan analyses key global events, from geopolitical conflicts and US politics to international diplomacy and social mov...Read More

Trending Topics