Global coronavirus cases surge to 3.6 million, death toll at 257,337

WION Web Team
New Delhi, Delhi, India Published: May 06, 2020, 01:35 PM(IST)

(Representative image) Photograph:( Reuters )

Story highlights

COVID-19 has now infected 3,665,912 people worldwide and 257,337 people have been killed due to this pandemic. Around 1,202,595 people of that tally have recovered.

Cases of infections of the deadly coronavirus surpassed 3.6 million worldwide on Wednesday as COVID-19 spreads across Europe, North America and South Asia.

Also read | New analysis dispels theory that said COVID-19 was in circulation long before Dec '19

COVID-19 has now infected 3,665,912 people worldwide and 257,337 people have been killed due to this pandemic. Around 1,202,595 people of that tally have recovered.

Also read | France COVID-19 timeline shifts weeks earlier in wake of new evidence

A few days ago, the World Health Organization (WHO) had claimed how lifting lockdowns too early could lead to a second wave and would be a catastrophe.

The epicentre of the pandemic has shifted twice, first from China to Europe, and then from Europe to North America.

Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University have reported in its map that the United States has taken the grim title of the country with the most coronavirus infections and reported a record surge in unemployment.

The UnitedStates is the worst-hit country, with more than 70,000 deaths, ahead of Britain where fatalities topped 32,000.

The US-registered 2,333 more deaths over the 24 hours to Tuesday evening, according to a Johns Hopkins University tracker, more than twice as many as the day before.

Some scientific models suggest the figure will rise to 3,000 a day by June.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has urged countries to investigate any early suspicious cases of the coronavirus before December 2019 when the first human cases were officially identified in China's Wuhan. 

The disease later identified as COVID-19 was first reported by Chinese authorities to the WHO on December 31 and was not previously believed to have spread to Europe until January.

WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier said that other earlier cases could emerge after retesting samples.

(With inputs from agencies)

Read in App