
Israel’s opposition has accused Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of not being transparent about the Israel Defense Forces’ casualties in the ongoing war with Hamas in Gaza. Opposition leader Yair Lapid claimed Monday (Oct 29) that more than 12,000 soldiers have been affected to date since the war started on October 7 last year. "Eleven thousand soldiers were injured and 890 others killed,” Lapid claimed.
The figure suggested by Lapid is slightly above the official death toll of 772 soldiers; whereas the government says around 5,100 soldiers have been injured.
"There are limits to how much we accept the alternative facts,” Lapid said, arguing that his figures are "correct".
He also warned that the number of casualties will only increase if the Netanyahu government “doesn’t do anything”.
Israel has doubled down on its military efforts in Gaza despite calls by the United Nations to implement an urgent ceasefire. So far, more than 43,000 people have been killed in the besieged Palestinian territory, according to Hamas. Mediation efforts by the United States, Egypt, and Qatar to reach a ceasefire in Gaza have so far failed to make a breakthrough.
Israel on October 1 decided to expand the war into Lebanon, saying the operation was necessary for Israeli people in the North to be able to go back to their homes.
The IDF revealed Tuesday the names of four soldiers who were killed during operations in northern Gaza.
The troops are named as below:
The four soldiers were fighting with the “Ghost” unit or theelite Multidomain Unit.
IDF didn’t reveal what circumstances led to the death of the four troops but said an investigation was going on.
(With inputs from agencies)
Disclaimer: WION takes utmost care to accurately and responsibly report ongoing developments on the Israel-Palestine conflict after the Hamas attacks. However, we cannot independently verify the authenticity of all statements, photos and videos.