
In Pakistan's Karachi, a massive blast outside the airport on Sunday night (Oct 6) claimed the lives of at least two people, injuring eight others.
The two confirmed dead as per a PTI report citing officials were workers from China.
The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) has claimed responsibility for the attack. The group in a posthas claimed Fidayee Shah Fahad alias Aftab, a BLA agent of the Majeed Brigade, was the perpetrator behind the attack.
In an emailstatement to journalists, the separatist militant group revealed that the attack carried out by them made use of a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device and that the targets were Chinese nationals and engineers.
According to reports, a tanker exploded outside Karachi Airport, Pakistan's biggest airport, causing a massive blast.
The attack, as per a report by local TV station Geo quoting provincial home minister Zia Ul Hassan, was an attack targeting foreigners.
In a statement to the press, Deputy Inspector General East Azfar Mahesar said that it seemed like it was an oil tanker explosion.
Mahesar said that police officers were among those injured and that they "are determining the nature and reasons for the blast."
"It takes time," he added.
Rahat Hussain from civil aviation reported that the blast was powerful enough to shake the airport's buildings. Videos showed flames engulfing cars and a thick column of smoke rising from the scene.
Watch here:
Chinese Embassy in a statement said that a convoy carrying Chinese staff of the Port Qasim Electric Power Company (Private) Limited had been attacked around 11 pm, killing two Chinese and injuring one other. It reported that there were Pakistani casualties as well.
Calling the explosion a "terrorist attack", the statement further said that China and Pakistan were working to handle the aftermath.
Also read |Taliban voices concern on unrest in Pakistan, urge Islamabad to hold dialogue as PTI protests grow
It also called for a thorough investigation to punish the perpetrators behind the attack and advised Chinese citizens in Pakistan to be cautious.
"The Chinese Embassy and Consulates General in Pakistan strongly condemn this terrorist attack (and) express deep condolences to the innocent victims of both countries," read the statement.
"The Chinese embassy and consulates in Pakistan remind Chinese citizens and companies in Pakistan to be vigilant, pay close attention to the local security situation, strengthen security measures, and make every effort to take safety precautions," it added.
(With inputs from agencies)