Spending a year in space could change your DNA: NASA

WION Web Team
New Delhi, Delhi, India Published: Mar 15, 2018, 08:10 AM(IST)

File image Photograph:( Zee News Network )

A recent study done by NASA has revealed that spending a year in space could change a person's DNA.

According to the research, 7% of astronaut's DNA does not return to normal after they land on earth.

The case study is based on an astronaut Scott Kelly's genes which involve information data gathered from before, during and after he spent one year in the International space station(ISS).

The data was later compared to his identical twins living on earth.

The research revelaed that after Kelly's return to earth he no longer shared the same genetics.

The official statement by NASA said ''researchers now know that 93% of Scott’s genes returned to normal after landing. However, the remaining 7% point to possible long-term changes in genes related to his immune system, DNA repair, bone formation networks, hypoxia, and hypercapnia.''

"Increasing mission duration from the typical six-month ISS mission to one year resulted in no significant decreases in Scott’s cognitive performance while inflight and relative to his twin brother Mark on the ground. However, a more pronounced decrease in speed and accuracy was reported post-flight, possibly due to re-exposure and adjustment to Earth’s gravity, and the busy schedule that enveloped Scott after his mission."

The twin study research was done by ten research teams from around the country to discover what happens to the human body after spending a year in space.

Read in App