Dharwad building collapse: Death toll rises to 16, Karnataka government suspends 7 corporation officials for negligence 

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Mar 24, 2019, 09.10 AM(IST)

Dharwad building collapse Photograph:( ANI )

Story highlights

Karnataka government on Saturday suspended seven corporation officials for negligence in connection to the building collapse that took place in Dharwad's Kumareshwar Nagar on March 19. 

The death toll in Karnataka's Dharwad building collapse has risen to 16. Meanwhile, the Karnataka government on Saturday suspended seven corporation officials for negligence in connection to the building collapse that took place in Dharwad's Kumareshwar Nagar on March 19. 

The officers suspended by the state government include -- City Planning Officer Mukund Joshi, Assistant Director City Planning Ashok Gadag, Revenue Officer Prakash Dodamani, Executive Engineer V Shridhar, Assistant Executive Engineer Chandrappa, City Planning Assistant B V Hiremath, and Assistant Commissioner Santosh Anishetter, news agency ANI reported. 

×

The four partners of Renuka Construction, the entity looking after the construction project, surrendered before the police earlier this week. 

Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy had visited the site on Thursday and told the media that several people were suspected to be trapped under the rubble. He had also said the district administration has already announced a magisterial inquiry and the government is ready to appoint a retired High Court judge if required.

On Wednesday, the Indian Air Force airlifted two teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) to Karnataka's Hubli from Hindon in Uttar Pradesh to join the rescue and search operation. 

The rescue operation is being conducted jointly by the NDRF and the State Disaster Response Force. 

(With inputs from ANI)