United States says talks with South Korea underway over increasing defence costs
the self-proclaimed dealmaker has failed again.
Since taking office, Donald Trump has had a torrid time with deals, be it North Korea, Iran or China, Trump has had a lot to say, but precious little to show.
On Tuesday as well, US President Donald Trump proclaimed talks with Afghanistan's Taliban leaders dead while the general in charge said the US military is likely to ramp up operations in Afghanistan to counter an increase in Taliban attacks.
Trump scrapped talks with the Taliban planned for Camp David, Maryland, over the weekend after an American soldier was killed by a suicide bomber in the capital Kabul last week.
Trump's decision to cancel the talks is puzzling because it goes against his pledge to withdraw the nearly 14-thousandn US Troops Afghanistan and end US involvement in a conflict that is closing in on 18 years.
Reuters Washington, USA
Aug 07, 2019, 04.35 PM
US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday talks have begun aimed at getting South Korea to pay more for the cost of maintaining US troops in the region to guard against any threat from North Korea.
"Talks have begun to further increase payments to the United States. South Korea is a very wealthy nation that now feels an obligation to contribute to the military defence provided by the United States of America," the Republican president said on Twitter.
... are NOT planning to illegally subvert the 2020 Election despite all that has been said to the contrary. It all sounded good until I watched Kevin Cernekee, a Google engineer, say terrible things about what they did in 2016 and that they want to “Make sure that Trump losses...
South Korea’s presidential Blue House did not immediately respond to request for comment on the talks.
Trump has repeatedly said Seoul should bear more of the burden for keeping some 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea, where the United States has had a military presence since the 1950-53 Korean War.
South Korean and the US officials signed an agreement in February under which Seoul would increase its contribution to just under 1.04 trillion won ($927 million), an increase of about $70.3 million.
The interim agreement was due to expire in a year.
South Korea’s presidential Blue House did not immediately respond to request for comment on the talks by Donald Trump.