The US president’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, on Sunday claimed that Trump would have definitely had Michael Cohen make payments to more women if he had to, as the Trump-Stormy Daniels scandal heats up.
"I have no knowledge of that. But I would think if it was necessary, yes." Giuliani told ABC's "This Week", when asked about Cohen making payments to other women, The Hill reported.
Daniels’ lawyer said Giuliani and Trump had “lost track of the truth” and were undermining their own attempted “coverup”. He had added that there could be many other woemn with similar issues to his client.
Giuliani, who recently joined Trump's team of lawyers in the Mueller probe over the alleged Russian collusion in the 2016 presidential election appeared in several interviews to clarify his comments on reimbursement.
On Thursday, in an exclusive interview with Fox News's Sean Hannity, Giuliani said that the payment was "perfectly legal" and was not "campaign money".
Asked whether the US President was aware of the payment, Giuliani underscored that "he did not know the specifics of it in his knowledge".
On Thursday, Trump went on a Twitter rant after Guiliani  said on Wednesday that Trump had reimbursed Cohen the $130,000 that was given to Daniels to buy her silence about an alleged affair with the president, saying that his lawyer Michael Cohen did not use presidential campaign funds to pay Stormy Daniels as part of a contract he said was aimed at stopping the adult-film star from making "false and extortionist accusations" about an affair.
"Money from the campaign, or campaign contributions, played no roll (sic) in this transaction," Trump wrote in one of a series of posts on Twitter early on Thursday.
Last week, Daniels, whose legal name is Stephanie Clifford, who publicly claimed a 2006 sexual encounter with President Trump, filed a fresh defamation suit against him. The lawsuit said that she suffered damages in excess of USD 75,000.
Daniels has been locked in a legal battle with President Trump, seeking to invalidate a nondisclosure agreement she and Cohen had signed more than a decade ago.
In her previous lawsuit, the adult star is asking whether the hush agreement was legal and is looking at whether President Trump consented to it.
The adult star revealed that the deal was not valid because the US President "never signed it himself".