
According to reports, Law enforcement officials in Annapolis, Maryland, are close to releasing the identity of the suspect who carried out a deadly shooting at a local newspaper office on Thursday. The shooting killed at least five.
Police in Annapolis, Maryland said today they were still not clear about the motive of the attacker who entered a newsroom of Capital Gazette newspaper and killed at least 5 people.
"We know that there were threats sent to the Gazette through social media," acting police chief Bill Krampf said, adding,"we're trying to confirm what account that was and we're trying to confirm who actually sent them."
According to an AFP report, the attack followed a series of online threats received by the media organisation.
Police said the threats on social media on the paper "indicated violence" but did not appear to target anyone in particular. "The only connection I can tell you of about right now is possibly, possibly, through social media. I have no other confirmation," Krampf informed.
The police said the suspect was a white man in his 30s.
None of the victims or the suspect have been identified by authorities so far.
Capital Gazette publishes a stable of newspapers in and around Annapolis, United States.
The White House on Thursday(local time) strongly condemned the shooting incident at the 'Capital Gazette' newspaper office in Annapolis, Maryland, which claimed five lives.
In a tweet, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that an attack on "journalists doing their job is an attack on every American."
"Strongly condemn the evil act of senseless violence in Annapolis, MD. A violent attack on innocent journalists doing their job is an attack on every American. Our prayers are with the victims and their friends and families," Sanders tweeted.
US First Lady Melania Trump, who is returning from Arizona, also condemned the incident, calling it "tragic and evil."
"Today's violence at the Capital Gazette was tragic & evil. My heart goes out to all affected in this brutal & senseless attack, & I send thoughts & prayers for comfort to the friends, family & colleagues of those killed & injured," she tweeted.
United States President Donald Trump condemned the attack and tweeted out saying that his "thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families".
"Prior to departing Wisconsin, I was briefed on the shooting at Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Maryland. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. Thank you to all of the First Responders who are currently on the scene," read his tweet.
(With inputs from agencies)