
After widespread speculation on David Coleman Headley's apparent death in a jail attack by inmates, his lawyer said the 26/11 Mumbai attack plotter is neither in Chicago nor in hospital.
Reports had said earlier that Headley the US national was declared dead on July 9 after an attack in prison on May 19.
"Although I cannot disclose his location, he is neither in Chicago nor in a hospital," John Theis, Headley's lawyer said.
Media reports claimed Headley was reportedly airlifted after the attack and taken to a local hospital and was being treated in the critical care unit. Doctors had reportedly declared him dead on July 8th, according to media reports. The FBI was assigned to investigate this case.
"I am in regular communication with Mr. Headley. There is no basis for the report in the Indian press," Theis added.
However, US officials refused to comment on Headley's condition. US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster on Tuesday walked away when he was asked about an update on David Headley.
"We are not able to locate information about this individual," the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago had said on Monday.
India has repeatedly asked for Headley's extradition after he was arrested in the US while on his way to Pakistan. Headley has been sentenced to 35 years in prison by a US court. One of the biggest impediments for his extradition to India is the "double jeopardy clause" in US law that prohibits punishment for the same crime twice.