As Captain Harry Wales weds actress-activist Meghan Markle, here are lesser known facts about the couple
Prince Harry, the grandson of Britain`s Queen Elizabeth, marries his fiancée, U.S. actress Meghan Markle, at the monarch`s home in Windsor on May 19, after which Meghan Markle will join Britain`s royal family. The couple met through a common friend in London back in 2016 and after a hush-hush courtship, they announced their relationship in December that year. Prince Harry is the sixth in line to the throne, while Meghan Markle is former American actress- best known for her role in the series 'Suits'.
Here are some lesser-known facts about the couple.
Meet the groom
- Harry was born on Sept. 15, 1984, at St Mary`s Hospital in central London. He is the second son of heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles and his late first wife Princess Diana, the younger brother of Prince William. He is currently sixth-in-line to the throne.
- Harry went to the exclusive Eton College school. He was considered a royal wild child and admitted dabbling in marijuana and under-age drinking, and also made headlines when he donned a Nazi uniform to a costume party.
- After school, he joined the army in 2003. After completing his training, he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Household Cavalry (Blues and Royals).
- He undertook two tours in Afghanistan but was forced to return early from the first in 2008 after news leaked out that he was serving as a combat soldier there. He returned in 2012 as a gunner in Apache attack helicopters.
- He moved to a desk job and quit the army, where he was known as Captain Harry Wales, in 2015. He now focuses his time on carrying out royal duties and charitable work particularly focused on military veterans, mental health, AIDS/HIV and African conservation.
- After his marriage to Markle, the couple will live at Nottingham Cottage, located in the grounds of Kensington Palace in central London, the home of William, his wife Kate and their children George, Charlotte and Louis.
Meet the bride
- Markle was born in Los Angeles on Aug. 4, 1981, days after Harry`s father Prince Charles married his first wife Princess Diana. Her father Thomas Markle was a lighting director for TV soaps and sitcoms and her mother Doria Ragland was a clinical therapist. Her parents divorced when she was six and she has two half-siblings.
- She went to Immaculate Heart High School in Los Angeles, a private all-girl Catholic school. However, after her engagement was announced, Harry`s spokesman said she identifies as a Protestant and would be baptised and confirmed into the Church of England before the wedding.
- Markle attended the Northwestern University where she studied theatre and international studies. She made her first TV appearance in a 2002 episode of medical drama "General Hospital" and has since appeared in a number of U.S. TV shows and films. She is best known for her role as Rachel Zane in the legal drama "Suits".
- In 2011, she married film producer Trevor Engelson but they divorced in 2013.
- She ran her own lifestyle blog and has worked as a humanitarian campaigner, acting for the likes of World Vision and as a United Nations women`s advocate.
- She met Harry on a blind date organised by a mutual friend in London in July 2016. They became engaged in November 2018.