14 miners dead following mine blast in southwest China

WION Web Team New Delhi Dec 17, 2019, 10.12 AM(IST)

File photo. Photograph:( AFP )

Story highlights

The accident is the latest in a series of mining incidents in China, where safety regulations are often poorly enforced.

Fourteen miners lost their lives while two are still trapped underground following a coal and gas blast at a mine in southwest China in the early hours of Tuesday, AFP news agency report said quoting authorities.

The accident is the latest in a series of mining incidents in China, where safety regulations are often poorly enforced.

Two people were still trapped underground after the blast at Guanglong coal mine in Anlong county, Guizhou province, the report said quoting Southwest Guizhou Autonomous Prefecture government.

According to local authorities, seven workers were lifted to safety after the accident and rescue work was ongoing.

The accident in Guizhou came days after flooding in a mine in southwest China's Sichuan province killed five and trapped 13 miners underground.

State broadcaster CCTV said 347 miners were working underground at the Shanmushu coal mine owned by Sichuan Coal Industry Group in Gongxian county when the flood happened on Saturday.

Last month at least 15 were killed in a mine blast in north China's Shanxi province, which an official said was caused by activity that "broke the law and regulations".

(With inputs from AFP)