• Wion
  • /Sports
  • /US Open 2026: Carlos Alcaraz and Serena Williams pair up for mixed doubles

US Open 2026: Carlos Alcaraz and Serena Williams pair up for mixed doubles

US Open 2026: Carlos Alcaraz and Serena Williams pair up for mixed doubles

Carlos Alcaraz and Serena Williams Photograph: (AFP)

Story highlights

Serena Williams and Carlos Alcaraz are set to form a star-studded mixed doubles team at the 2026 US Open after receiving a wild card, while Alcaraz also prepares to defend his singles crown.

Tennis legend Serena Williams is set to return to the US Open, teaming up with Spanish star Carlos Alcaraz in the mixed doubles event. The high-profile pair have received a wild card for the tournament. The United States Tennis Association (USTA) announced on Saturday that Williams and Alcaraz will enter the mixed doubles competition, with the main draw scheduled to begin on Tuesday.

The appearance will be Williams’ first at the US Open since 2022. The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion returned to competitive tennis this summer.

Alcaraz, meanwhile, confirmed earlier this week that he will defend his US Open singles title after recovering from a right wrist injury that had kept him away from competition since April.

Add WION as a Preferred Source

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner, however, will miss the US Open because of a right knee injury, his team said on Friday, according to the ATP website.

Sinner last played at Wimbledon, where he won his fifth Grand Slam title and his first major of the season.

Trending Stories

This will be Sinner’s first absence from a Grand Slam since he made his major debut at the 2019 US Open.

The 25-year-old has enjoyed an outstanding 2026 season, winning the first five ATP Masters 1000 events of the year in Indian Wells, Miami, Monte-Carlo, Madrid and Rome.

He has recorded 44 wins against three defeats and won six titles this season.

According to his team, Sinner will remain in Europe and continue his recovery with his medical and performance staff. He is targeting a return during the Asian swing, with tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai in his plans.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement.

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there,” the statement added.

With inputs from agencies

About the Author

Aditya Bhatia

Aditya Bhatia is a dynamic journalist with a strong passion for storytelling, whether it’s the thrill of live sports or the pulse of current affairs. While sports remain close to...Read More