File photo Photograph:( Reuters )
More than 1,000 people had been invited, one witness said, as fears grew that it could be the deadliest attack in Kabul this year.
At least 63 people are feared dead and over 182 injured following a deadly suicide-bomb blast in Darulaman area of Kabul city on Saturday night, a senior Afghan official said.
Afghan Interior Ministry confirmed the attack and said the explosion took place at around 10:40 pm, reported Tolo news.
According to eyewitnesses, the suicide bomber laid explosives among the wedding participants and detonated them.
People say that almost a thousand people were invited to the ceremony.
There are reports that this could end up being the deadliest attack on Kabul in recent times.
While the Taliban is the obvious candidate to have carried out the attack, the group has not released any statements yet.
The blast happened in western Kabul, a predominantly Shia locality.
The Shia minority has been targeted by the Taliban multiple times over the years.
Most of the injured were later taken to a hospital in the city.
There has been a slew of attacks in Afghanistan in recent times.
Most of which have been claimed by the Taliban.
10 days back, they had attacked a police headquarters, killing 14 people and injuring more than a hundred.
These attacks come at a time when the united states are discussing a peace deal in Afghanistan — a deal that involves the Taliban giving up arms.
The latest blast at the wedding comes ahead of Afghanistan's 100th independence day celebrations tomorrow, and shortly after the festival of Eid al-Adha.
Meanwhile, Taliban sources indicate that the younger brother of a prominent Afghan Taliban leader was killed in a bomb blast near a mosque in Pakistan.
But the Taliban leadership has promised that his killing will not affect the progress of the peace talks with the united states.
(With inputs from agencies)