WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2018, 01.27 AM
A police spokesman informed on Saturday that at least two of the four suspected gunmen have been killed during an attack in the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan.
According to reports, the Kabul police said that the security forces had cleared the fourth floor and were heading up the building, battling the raiders, who appeared to have a large supply of hand grenades.
There has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
Hotel manager Ahmad Haris Nayab, who escaped unhurt, said the attackers had got into the main part of the hotel through a kitchen and people tried to get out amid bursts of gunfire.
Interior Minister Barmak said 16 people were rescued from the first floor of the hotel. The minister said that a private security company had taken responsibility for the protection of the hotel around two weeks ago.
Other details about the attack, including whether any civilians had been killed, were not immediately clear.
Special forces had been lowered by helicopters onto the rooftop of the hotel, he added.
The fourth floor of the hotel, which boasts several restaurants and an outdoor swimming pool, had been set on fire during the raid, the NDS official said.
"The operation will soon end and the attackers will be killed," interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said.