
USAmbassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Thursday that a top-level strategic dialogue with India will take place as soon as possible, after Washington put off the meeting for a second time in months.
The talks were expected to cover issues including USsanctions against Russia and Iran, arms sales and trade.
India and the United States have built close political and defence ties and USSecretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis were due to hold joint talks with their Indian counterparts in Washington on July 6.
But Pompeo called Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj on Wednesday night to say that the United States had to postpone the meeting because of unavoidable reasons, the Indian foreign ministry said.
The so-called two-plus-two talks are the highest level of dialogue between the United States and India and were agreed by USPresident Donald Trump and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi last year.
The two sides are expected to share perspectives on strengthening their strategic and security ties and exchange views on a range of bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in a statement.
This new dialogue format was agreed upon between the two sides during the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Washington in June 2017.
Haley, who is on a visit to New Delhi, told Reuters that the talks were a priority and would happen soon.
"It’s not just that it’s going to happen, they are now willing to come here if they need to or travel to make sure the two plus two happens. It is a priority. It’s something that needed to happen. It’s important," she said.
No new dates have been announced.
Among the issues on the agenda for talks were arms sales including the transfer of Sea Guardian surveillance drones to the Indian navy, the first such sale of unmanned aircraft.
Indian officials also planned to discuss the issue of sweeping USsanctions on Russia under which any country engaged with its defence and intelligence sectors could face secondary USsanctions.
The USmove has threatened a proposed $6 billion air defence missile deal that India is negotiating with Russia to help it counter the ballistic missiles and stealth aircraft that China is developing.
Haley, a member of Trump`s cabinet, said the postponement of the meeting in Washington had nothing to do with any policy issues.
“The meeting is being discussed right now and being rescheduled as soon as possible. It was a situation that couldn’t be avoided and it will come out publicly in the next few days,” she said.