As many as 95,923 pilgrims have performed the Amarnath Yatra since it started on July 1
As many as 95,923 pilgrims have performed the Amarnath Yatra since it started on July 1. However, no fresh batch of pilgrims was allowed to move towards the cave due to a protest called by locals to commemorate the death of Hizbul militant Burhan Wani.
Burhan Wani was killed in Kokernag area of Anantnag district on July 8, 2016 in a gunfight with the security forces.
Meanwhile, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chief Mehbooba Mufti said that the arrangements made by the government are causing inconvenience to locals.
"Amarnath Yatra is taking place since years. But unfortunately, the arrangements done this year are against the people of Kashmir. It's causing a lot of trouble in the day-to-day lives of local people. I would like to request the Governor to intervene in this," news agency ANI quoted the former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister.
She further said that restriction on the use of Jammu and Kashmir highway by the locals is excesses against people by the Central government.
However, Governor Satyapal Malik asked people to bear with the curbs imposed on civilian traffic on the national highway for two hours daily as it concerns the safety and the security of the pilgrims.
Authorities have made tight security arrangements for the safety of pilgrims. Last month, Union Home Minister Amit Shah chaired a review meeting on security arrangements for the yatra. State Governor Satyapal Malik also was also present in the review meeting.
Before the Home Minister's visit, Northern Army Commander Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh visited units deployed for security of Amarnath yatra and reviewed the security arrangements on both the axis of Baltal and Pahalgam.
The 46-day long Amarnath Yatra kicked off on July 1 and will conclude on the 15th of next month coinciding with Raksha Bandhan.