• Wion
  • /India News
  • /No talk of replacing Devendra Fadnavis, says Nitin Gadkari on Maratha row

No talk of replacing Devendra Fadnavis, says Nitin Gadkari on Maratha row

No talk of replacing Devendra Fadnavis, says Nitin Gadkari on Maratha row

Nitin Gadkari

Story highlights

Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut had claimed two days ago that there was talk within the BJP that Fadnavis should be replaced in view of the Maratha agitation.

Union minister and senior BJP leader Nitin Gadkari on Friday ruled out any change of guard in Maharashtra amid the Maratha community's ongoing agitation for reservation.

"People should have patience as Chief Minister (Devendra) Fadnavis is sensitive about the issue of reservation and the government will resolve all the issues," the road transport and highways minister said in Nagpur.

Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut had claimed two days ago that there was talk within the BJP that Fadnavis should be replaced in view of the Maratha agitation.

Add WION as a Preferred Source

"I do not know why there is discussion in the media about removal of Fadnavis. The entire party stands with Fadnavis and there is no talk in the party about changing the leadership in Maharashtra," Mr Gadkari asserted.

"Some people are trying infuse venom of casteism and communalism in society. I firmly believe that all the communities including the Marathas will get justice under Fadnavis's leadership," the senior BJP leader from Maharashtra said.

Meanwhile, after the All-India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC) called off its nationwide strike, Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari, lauded the organisation for the decision.

Gadkari further said the government was "sensitive" to the demands of the transporters, adding that a high-level committee was constituted to look into the unfulfilled demands.

"The decision of All India Motor Congress to end the strike is commendable. They have withdrawn their strike following the government's appeal. The government is sensitive to the demands of transporters. We had already accepted several demands. We have constituted a high-level committee to discuss the remaining demands," he tweeted in Hindi.

Furthermore, Gadkari, while addressing a press conference here, assured the AIMTC of working on the things that have been decided.

"I am happy that they have called off the strike. Minister of Finance Piyush Goyal has been very helpful. I assure them that we will work on the things that have been decided," he said.