Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis orders probe after seven dead in building collapse

WION Web Team New Delhi, India Jul 16, 2019, 03.21 PM(IST) Edited By: Riya Gupta

Indian fire brigade, NDRF personnel, and rescue workers look for survivors after a building collapsed at Dongri in Mumbai. Photograph:( ANI )

Story highlights

To speed up the rescue operation, two teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) hae been deployed for the rescue operation.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has ordered an investigation after a four-storey building collapsed in Mumbai's Dongri at around 11 am on Tuesday.

So far, seven people have died and eight people have been injured in the incident.

Around 40-50 are feared to be trapped under the debris.

''As per the initial information I have received, around 15 families are feared trapped in the collapse. The building is around 100 years old. The entire focus is on rescuing the people trapped. The investigation will be done,'' Fadnavis said.

×

The chief minister further added that the entire focus is on the rescue operations. To speed up the rescue operation, two teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been deployed for the rescue operation.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi shared his condolences to the families of the deceased.

''Collapse of a building in Mumbai’s Dongri is anguishing. My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives. I hope the injured recover soon. Maharashtra Government, NDRF and local authorities are working on rescue operations & assisting those in need,'' PM Modi said.

The Kesarbai building that collapsed was located in Tandel Street, in Mumbai's Dongri area.