Interpol issues Red Corner notice against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata in Sambhal violence case

Interpol issues Red Corner notice against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata in Sambhal violence case

Interpol issues Red Corner notice against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata in Sambhal violence case Photograph: (AFP)

Story highlights

Interpol issues Red Corner notice against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata, accused in Sambhal violence and dozens of criminal cases

A Red Corner notice has been issued by Interpol against fugitive gangster Shariq Sata, who has been identified by police as the alleged mastermind behind the violence that erupted in Uttar Pradesh's Sambhal on November 24, 2024, a police officer said on Friday. Sambhal Superintendent of Police Krishna Kumar Bishnoi told reporters that Sata had earlier been declared a fugitive offender by a court, with proceedings initiated to attach his property. After completing the required formalities, the Uttar Pradesh Police approached the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to seek an Interpol Red Corner notice against him.

According to police, Sata fled to Dubai using a forged passport. His family members have also travelled to Dubai frequently. Police kept him under surveillance and prepared a detailed dossier, which was submitted to the CBI. The agency subsequently coordinated with Interpol for issuance of the Red Corner notice. Bishnoi said efforts would now be made to have Sata arrested and extradited from whichever country he is located in. He would then face legal proceedings in connection with the November 24 incident as well as the 55 to 60 other criminal cases registered against him, the officer said.

Also Read: 'Should ignore': India slams USCIRF's RSS sanctions call, terms US body 'biased'

Tension broke out in Sambhal on November 24, 2024, when protesting locals clashed with security forces during a court-ordered survey of the Shahi Jama Masjid. The survey followed claims that a Harihar temple had previously stood at the site. Four people were killed and dozens were injured during the violence. During the investigation, Sata emerged as the prime conspirator, according to the Sambhal SP. Police said he had fled the country years ago and had remained absconding since then.

Multiple police raids were conducted to locate him, but he could not be traced. Following this, a notice under Section 84 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita was pasted at his residence. A lookout circular had already been issued against Sata, Bishnoi said.

A Red Corner Notice is an international request issued through Interpol to law-enforcement agencies worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person wanted for prosecution or to serve a sentence.

Trending Stories

Police said Sata was allegedly involved in organised criminal activities, including vehicle thefts, across the National Capital Region and Uttar Pradesh while operating from abroad.

About the Author

With over 12 years of experience in journalism, Jatin is currently working as Senior Sub-Editor at WION. He brings a dynamic and insightful voice to both the sports and the world o...Read More