• Wion
  • /India News
  • /Indian Army says Agniveer Ajay Singh's family has already been given over Rs. 9mn as compensation

Indian Army says Agniveer Ajay Singh's family has already been given over Rs. 9mn as compensation

Indian Army says Agniveer Ajay Singh's family has already been given over Rs. 9mn as compensation

Rahul Gandhi

Hitting back at claims that Agniveer Ajay Kumar's family had not yet received the promised compensation, the Indian Army said on Wednesday that his family had already been paid Rs 98.39 lakh (over Rs 9 million) of the total amount, which will ultimately be Rs 1.65 crore. The entire fiasco started when Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi shared on X a purported video of Kumar's father, in which he said that he hadn't yet received the money.

The additional directorate general of public information of the Army said that compensation to the kin of a fallen hero is paid expeditiously, including Agniveers.

"It is emphasised that the Indian Army salutes the supreme sacrifice made by Agniveer Ajay Kumar. The last rites were carried out with full military honours. Of the total amount due, family of Agniveer Ajay has already been paid Rs 98.39 lakhs," the Army said in the post.

Add WION as a Preferred Source

"The total amount will be Rs 1.65 cr approximately. It is re-emphasised that emoluments due to a fallen hero are paid expeditiously to the next of kin of departed soldiers, including Agniveers. #IndianArmy," it added.

What happened in the parliament?

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh had said in the Parliament on Monday (July 1) that an Agniveer who lays down his life in the line of duty gets a compensation of Rs 1 crore.

Gandhi then alleged that Rajnath Singh had "lied" and brought up the issue of compensation to families of martyred Agniveers and demanded an apology for it.

Rahul Gandhi, in a video message on Wednesday, said that in his speech in Parliament, he said thatprotection of truth is the basis of every religion.

"In reply, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, before Lord Shiva's photo, lied to the country, its armed forces and Agniveers about compensation," Gandhi said in the video.

The video carried the purported statement by Agniveer Ajay Singh's father in which he said that while Rajnath Singh said that the families of martyrs have been given Rs 1 crore compensation, the family had not received any such assistance.

Gandhi had earlier criticised the Agniveer scheme which offers short-term military recruitment, saying that the government does not even give them the status of a "shaheed" (martyr) and no compensation is given to the families if they are killed in action.

To this, the defence minister said, "I would like to humbly request the leader of the opposition not to try to mislead Parliament. Regarding the Agniveer scheme, direct communication was established with many people, 158 organisations, their suggestions were taken, then this Agniveer scheme was brought. This scheme has been brought after a lot of thought."

"And, I would also like to make it clear that these kinds of schemes are operational in many countries. It is there in the US, in the UK. People there do not have any objection. Without understanding the Agniveer scheme, without getting proper information about it... to mislead the House like this, cannot be deemed appropriate," the minister added.

What is the Agniveer Scheme?

The Agniveer scheme, announced on June 14, 2022, initially offered recruitment to youths between the age of 17 and half years and 21 for only four years. Under a provision, 25 per cent of them can be retained for 15 more years. The upper age limit was extended to 23 years later that year.

About the Author

Share on twitter

Anamica Singh

Anamica Singh is a Senior News Editor at WION, bringing over 17 years of deep media and journalism experience to the platform. Specialising in high-impact global journalism, she le...Read More