Prince Harry, Meghan Markle will officially not be returning to their royal roles

WION Web Team
New Delhi Published: Feb 19, 2021, 06:58 PM(IST)

Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle Photograph:( Zee News Network )

Story highlights

As speculated, the couple — who left full-time royal work in March of last year — will no longer keep their patronages, aka their royal involvement with numerous U.K. charities.

It's official. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will not be returning to their royal roles. The news was confirmed by Buckingham Palace in a statement on Friday.

As speculated, the couple — who left full-time royal work in March of last year — will no longer keep their patronages, aka their royal involvement with numerous U.K. charities.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family," the Buckingham Palace statement said.

 "Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service." the statement read.

Buckingham

Further, Prince Harry, 36, will lose his honorary military appointments, which will subsequently be redistributed "among working members of The Royal Family."

Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce partnership with food charity

Other trusts and patronages that will revert to the Queen, 94, include the Queen's Commonwealth Trust, the Rugby Football Union, the Rugby Football League, the Royal National Theatre, and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.

Although Prince Harry and Meghan, 39, no longer use their coveted His/Her Highness titles, they will retain them, along with their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles.

'Love wins,' Harry and Meghan say in 2020 reflections on first podcast

"While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much-loved members of the family," the Buckingham Palace announcement said.

In their own statement about the news, Prince Harry and Meghan's office said that the pair "remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organizations they have represented regardless of official role."

 

×

 

"We can all live a life of service. Service is universal," the statement read.

The couple's probation period was originally not set to come to a close until March 31.

According to PEOPLE, a source told the publication that the challenge of keeping the royal roles stems from the couple's commercial relationships with companies like Netflix and Spotify. However, the Queen's view is that members of the royal family can't be "half in, half out", that is, representing the Queen and the U.K. while also pursuing personal financial goals.

Prince Harry and Meghan to break silence in Oprah interview

A source previously noted to PEOPLE, "It was clear to her from the start that a hybrid role is not an option."

Despite losing his military titles Prince Harry would still have his Invictus Games Foundation, the Paralympic-style contests for service members which also incorporates the Endeavour Fund. He also retains his personal charity Sentebale, which he set up with friend Prince Seeiso of Lesotho to help combat the HIV/AIDS pandemic in southern Africa. Harry will additionally continue to work with WellChild, which aids sick children and their families.

Meghan will retain animal welfare charity Mayhew, and Smart Works Charity, which provides women with professional attire for career opportunities.

Harry and Meghan had recently announced that they're expecting their second child together and their visit to the United Kingdom is expected to happen soon. 

Second baby on its way! Timeline of Prince Harry-Meghan Markle royal love story

Read in App