File photo of Anu Malik, Sona Mohapatra Photograph:( Twitter )
In a statement shared on Twitter, Anu Malik wrote, "It has been over a year that I have been accused of something that I haven't done. I have been silent all this while as I was waiting for the truth to surface on its own. But I realise that my silence on the matter has been misconstrued as my weakness."
#MeToo allegations ever since the movement picked up in India after it reached its peak in Hollywood has left many professional careers in tatters. One such case is that of Anu Malik as alleged by him, who after being reinstated as a judge on a reality show on TV after being asked to leave when these allegations came to fore the first time, -- has been asked to exit again.
It so happened when singer Sona Mohapatra highlighted the injustice to alleged victims of Anu Malik, a famous Indian music director -- when he was given work by a prominent entertainment channel in spite of the charges levelled on him.
On Thursday, Anu Malik opened up on the "false and unverified allegations" that were levelled against him. He said that he '"is in pain and in a dark space", and has demanded justice.
He shared a statement on Twitter that started as, "It has been over a year that I have been accused of something that I haven't done. I have been silent all this while as I was waiting for the truth to surface on its own. But I realise that my silence on the matter has been misconstrued as my weakness.”
"Ever since the false and unverified allegations were levelled against me, it has not only ruined my reputation, but affected me and my family's mental health, left us traumatised, and tarnished my career. I feel helpless, like I am being cornered and suffocated," he wrote.
"It's disgraceful that at this age, at this stage in my life I have to watch the most slanderous words and horrifying incidents being associated with my name."
He argued, "Why wasn't this spoken about before? Why do these allegations resurface only when I am back on television, which is currently my only source of livelihood? Being a father of two daughters, I can't imagine committing the acts that I am accused of, let alone do it. Fighting a battle on social media is an endless process, at the end of which nobody wins. If this keeps on continuing, I will have no option but to knock on the doors of the courts to safeguard myself."
He thanked his well-wishers who have been with him and family through this "dark phase. I don't know how much more slander and dirt my family and I can take." "The show must go on. But behind this happy face, I'm in pain. I'm in a dark space. And justice is all I want," he concluded.
Read his full statement here:
Last year, singer Sona Mohapatra along with singers like Shweta Pandit had levelled allegations of sexual harassment against the composer. Soon, other women too joined and accused the music director of an improper conduct. He was then discharged of his duties as a judge on a TV show. When he was brought back this year, Sona called out the channel, former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar for praising the show even though they gave work to an accused and others like Sonu Nigam for defending Malik.
This is how Mohapatra responded to Malik’s post:
Anu Malik finally wrote back to all of us last evening. My response to him, next to his letter. 👇🏾— ShutUpSona (@sonamohapatra) November 15, 2019
In case mine is too long to read, have also attached a shorter, crisper one, one amongst many on my timeline. Thank you @KallolDatta for saying it better #India @IndiaMeToo pic.twitter.com/NNeW59fLPs
Shweta Pandit, in her tweet, said," This @sonamohapatra truth and nothing but the truth."