WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2019, 08.18 AM
One of the accusers in a criminal sex abuse case against R Kelly has opened up about her ordeal for the first time, after coming out with the sexual abuse allegation. she called it a "release."
Lanita Carter, one of the four accusers told CBS news in an excerpt of an interview set to air Thursday, "I've been carrying this since 2003. I have had to sit on a public bus and watch public conversation: 'Did you hear about what they did with R. Kelly? They need to leave that man alone.' And I can't stand up for myself."
Carter was 24 at the time of her attack while the other three were underage. Her case was brought by Chicago prosecutors who charged Kelly with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
Carter worked as Kelly's hairdresser, and according to her, the singer tried to force her to perform oral sex. When she resisted, he allegedly masturbated on her.
According to court documents, a shirt Carter submitted for DNA testing matches Kelly's profile.
Carter said, "If I die tomorrow, I know that I told the truth. It's hard when it's a celebrity. It's not easy."
"Today I say no more," Carter continued. "You can talk about me. You can not like what I'm saying about your favourite singer... But this is my life, this is my truth."
The said abuse is alleged to have occurred between May 1998 and January 2010.
Also, earlier this month, the Chicago police rushed to his apartment at Trump Tower after receiving a call that stated that the singer’s girlfriends were attempting to carry out a “suicide pact.”
Carter is one of four women involved in a case brought by Chicago prosecutors who charged Kelly with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. Three of his alleged victims were underage, while Carter was 24 at the time of her attack.