Ronaldo fans entitled to compensation after star's no-show, S.Korean court rules

Reuters Seoul, Seoul-t'ukpyolsi, Korea (South) Feb 05, 2020, 11.31 AM(IST)

File photo: Serie A - Juventus v AC Milan - Allianz Stadium, Turin, Italy - November 10, 2019 Juventus' Cristiano Ronaldo holds the ball.  Photograph:( Reuters )

Story highlights

The lawsuit complained that The Fasta Inc had publicised Ronaldo would play for at least 45 minutes. 

Two South Korean soccer fans who sued the match organiser after Cristiano Ronaldo failed to play in a friendly during Juventus's pre-season tour in Seoul last year are entitled to compensation, a court ruled on Tuesday.

Also read: Cristiano Ronaldo achieves another milestone, scores 50 goals for Juventus

A district court in Incheon, west of Seoul, ordered the local agency that organised the match, The Fasta Inc, to pay 371,000 won ($312) to both fans listed in the lawsuit.

Also read: Cristiano Ronaldo first to get 200 million followers on Instagram

The lawsuit complained that The Fasta Inc had publicised Ronaldo would play for at least 45 minutes, but the Portugal star ultimately sat out the entire game in July 2019.

The court ordered The Fasta Inc to pay 70,000 won ($58.95) per ticket, 1,000 won ($0.8421) for the ticket commission fee, and 300,000 won ($252.63) each for "mental anguish" for the two plaintiffs, lawyer Kim Min-ki who filed the lawsuit, told Reuters.

Kim said he was also representing 87 other plaintiffs in several other cases that were filed in connection with the match.

The Fasta Inc's website was not online as of Tuesday, and phone calls to the company's president were not answered.